For today's blog post, I'm going to do something different. I am going to share with you my recipe for authentic semi-homemade Italian Ragu. As you know, I've been on stay-cation for the last month and it's really given me some time to enjoy things that I haven't had much time or energy to do.
One of those things is cooking.
Allow me to toot my own horn for a moment. I can throw down in the kitchen. You saw my last post. I make tacos, lasagna, mac n cheese, pies, everything from scratch. But my favorite thing to make in the whole world is this ragu recipe. It's one of the first things I learned how to make in my cooking class in Milan.
I've been trying to come up with ways to share what I have been doing and learning during my staycation and I thought, the best way to start things out would be with food.
So without further ado in both italian and english, here is the recipe for Italian Ragu! I even pulled up my photos from Italy for this one!
Tip: It takes forever if you don't have a vegetable chopper and slicer. So you may want to have one of those handy!
Tempo di preparazione: 20-30 minuti -Preparation Time: 20-30 minutes Tempo di Cottura: 2 hora - Cooking Time: 2 hours Difficolta': Media/ Faccile - Difficulty: Medium/Easy
Ingredienti Per 4 Personas: - Ingredients for 4 people: -200gr di Salsa di Pomodoro- Tomato Sauce ( 2 jars/cans) -200gr. di Verdure (Carrote, Sedano, Cibolla) - Vegetables (carrots (4), celery (2/3 of a stalk), onions (1.5)) -Olio Exra Vergine Olivo - Extra Virgin Olive Oil -200gr. Trita Carne di Manzo - Beef (4 lbs) -Vino Rosso (1 bicchiere) - Red Wine
* Aceto di Vino Rosso - Red Wine Vinegar -Sale - Salt -Parmigano - Parmesan -30gr di Burro - Butter
-15g di Farina - Flour * Mozzerella (optional) ***
Preparazione - Preparation: 1. Pulire, lavare e tritare le verdure. - Pull, wash, and cut up the vegetables.
2. Soffriggere le verdure con un cucchaio d'olio. - Fry the vegetables in a spoonful of oil until lightly colored.
3. Rosolare la carne trita con un cucchiaio d'olio per 10 minuti. - Roast the meat with a spoonful of oil for 10 minutes or until brown.
4. Scolare il grasso della carne. - Drain the fatty oil from the meat. 5. Aggiungere la carne, le verdure e un bicchiere di vino rosso. - Add the vegetables, and a cup of red wine to the meat.
*Jasmine's Twist: For an added boost of flavor, I like to add red wine vinegar here as well. This was a complete accident. I don't drink alcohol and so when we cooked the meal with wine, I was feeling some type of way. I thought it would be better to use red wine vinegar instead. It bumped up the flavor for me. Since I've been back in America, I've learned to use wine too, but the vinegar is just damn delicious. This is my spin, and the reason why this recipe is so bomb. Try it with the vinegar. You won't be disappointed.
6. Quando il vino e' evaporato aggiungere il salsa di pomodoro, e sale. -When the wine evaporates, add the tomato sauce and salt.
7. Cuocere per un'ora e mezza a fuoco lento. - Cook for an hour and a half on low heat.
8. Impastare il burro e la farina.- Cover the butter in the flour.
9. Aggiungere il burro e la farina al ragu'. Mescolare il tutto per 10 minuti. -Add the butter and flour to the ragu. Mix for 10 minutes. ***You do this to thicken the ragu. I prefer to use mozerella cheese instead, it does the same thing.
10. Il ragu' e' pronto, condire la pasta e aggiungere il parmigiano reggiano. - The ragu is ready. Place it on top of your pasta and add parmesan cheese.
8Serve over any pasta you want. I love angel hair, linguine, and tagliatelle. But for this dish, my absolute favorite is penne.
This is a great meal to put together for a Friday night after a long week of work. Add a side of caesar salad, some garlic bread, Welches Sparkling Grape Juice (or some actual wine), and gelato and you have yourself a night.
Now let's talk gelato. Nothing compares to the real deal, but if you must do gelato in America, I recommend Talenti. My favorite of theirs is caramel swirl or chocolate chip (this one reminds me of my favorite gelato flavor: stratchiatella). Breyer's has a good line as well.
Have fun when you make this recipe. Pick up your ingredients Thursday night. Friday night as soon as the clock hits 5, head straight home. Strip off your clothes and get into your favorite lounge wear. Now, imagine making this. Then leaving your ragu to stew while you take a nice DIY spa bath. Once you get out, make your plate, pull up Game of Thrones and issa party!
I'm just saying!
Did you like this post? Let me know in the comment section below. What other recipes would you like for me to share?
It's a great day to conquer the world. So treat yo self and slay!
ORIGINALLY POSTED ON AUGUST 29, 2018